Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sneaky peaky

Prototypes are done, samples under way! Here's a sneak peak.


Definitely trying to tone it down for the first collection. Instead of trying to create fireworks I had to bring myself down to earth and think... wearable! Obviously leaving in the small funky elements that create the interest.. I do find though, that sometimes I get carried away and feel that the maturity in design does come after years of experience and the chance to experiment a bit. So I do get those 'Eff it!' moments, go nuts and think 'well now is the time for me to go nuts'! Nevertheless, the collection is toned down and I would wear every single piece that's been made.

As for my learnings so far:

The raw silk fabric that I am using has a life of its own. I felt like it simply didn't want to mould in certain ways. Pleating for example was very difficult. As these are handmade fabrics the weave is not completely straight and equidistant in certain areas so manipulation becomes difficult. The fabric just wants to rest and be flat.

Although this was a frustration, I did remember that to start something new is to get rid of part of your perfectionism.. It is to have the humility and understanding that it is the start of a learning journey that is not without mistakes. Sometimes the learnings from your mistakes will be your biggest asset in the future.

1 comment:

  1. love the detail one the white top.
    so very you and so wearable!

    ReplyDelete